Story of the CroftStory of the Croft - Return HomeStory of the Croft -  About the ProjectStory of the Croft - Contact us

"Good memories, good memories, It was what I needed... I mean I dread to think what might have happened to me if there wasn't the The Croft at the time "

"The Croft was like being a family without being family ... You are starting again. You are starting afresh and you could be who you wanted to be"

"It was a very good environment, in particular for the time when having a baby as a single parent you were very much a second class citizen and looked down on."

Return HomeAbout The ProjectMothers' Stories From the CroftSocial HistoryNottingham Croft GalleryYour Comments

More Stories from the Croft
Lesley (Lee)'s Story

"I was born in Nottingham and ... we were one of the first families that moved to the Clifton Estate and I don’t remember whether I was four or five ...

We were quite a small family really ... My mother’s parents lived in the Meadows and ... my father’s parents lived at Wollaton Park so there was quite a difference in their backgrounds ... And I think I was conscious of that while I was growing up. I was conscious that my father’s parents had a much nicer house and lived in a much nicer area ... but actually my mother’s parents had a lot more friends and there was a much greater sense of community where they came from ...

The over-riding love of my life as I was growing up was always theatre and drama and I was always in school plays. I used to write school plays. I used to belong to the local church’s Am Dram which was probably awful but I loved it and I belonged to the Cooperative Arts Theatre in Nottingham and I belonged to the Lace Market Theatre in Nottingham. And Nottingham Playhouse used to do Saturday morning workshops for the kids and ... as a kid I used to go ... and loved it.  And it was my whole life.  The theatre was my whole life." 

Moved to The Croft in 1971.

"... I was in hospital in ... I can’t for the life of me remember the name of this place. It’s a seaside place on the east coast and I just can’t remember it except that it begins with C, I’m so sorry and I was in hospital there for 5 or 6 weeks and eventually they said I could come out. No, I wasn’t in hospital anything like that long ... I wasn’t ... I went in hospital November the 5th and it was the end of November they said to my mum that I could come out and so my mum came to fetch me but I started haemorrhaging on the way home, in the car on the way home, so mum took me straight to the City Hospital in Nottingham and they kept me in and my daughter was due on February 18th and she was born on December 17th. ... And that, that wasn’t a good time. That really wasn’t a good time...because I didn’t know whether she was going to live or whether she was going to die, she was two pounds, two and three quarter ounces and new born babies lose weight and she went down to two pounds and a quarter of an ounce and I thought you know, she’s not going to live and they said to me ....when she was born, they said 'Well if she lives through the first day, you know that’s a really good sign'. And then at the end of the first day they said 'Well really, it’s the first three days” and then they said “well we told you three days, but actually it’s the first week that really matters.' And then they said I need to be prepared for the fact that she may have a handicap in some way. You know she may be retarded in some way. They don’t use that word any more but they did didn’t help that when she was born they left me with a Nun who baptised her and told me to pray for her to die. That didn’t help at all. That didn’t make me feel good. But I suppose that was because I was an unmarried mother they ... the baby would be better off dead, I suppose. "